Update or Check ESTA Status
Are you planning to travel to the United States of America? Check ESTA status and update information if necessary. Complete the form for travel authorization. You can click on the button to update your information, request a review or get a lost ESTA.
If you made a mistake when filling out your application form – for example if the passport number or expiry date was wrong, the issuing date was incorrect, or if a name had been misspelled – you will need to apply again for ESTA USA. If you make significant mistakes, your original application will be invalidated. Once a new application is submitted, the old one becomes valid. You can still update information that is not essential, like your email and your address in the US, even after your application has been approved.
What information do you have that you can update on an ESTA?
You can update all fields of your ESTA form except for the passport information before clicking ‘Submit. Check ESTA status. You can only make changes to the following fields after you have submitted and paid for your application:
- Email Address
- Address in the United States
How do I fix an ESTA error?
Before submitting an application, the data can be reviewed and updated. If your application is approved and you have received your travel permit, then only can you change your residence in the United States. An applicant who makes an error with their passport details must submit a brand new application and pay the ESTA fee again. You can use the update function to correct or update other errors. It can be very useful to check ESTA status to make sure your status is approved and that your information is correct.
How to fill out your ESTA form without errors
- Pay close attention to your ID number. The national ID appears on any identification card that is issued by the country you are from, like a passport or ID. Most countries require that identity cards include personal information as well as an identification photo. This official document contains the National Identification Number (it’s not your passport number). If the applicant does not possess a valid ID card, they should write “DOESN’T APPLY” or “UNKNOWN.”
- Check that you have spelled your first and last name correctly. Remember only to enter your first name into the field for name. Your passport must have the same first name as your name. Enter only Marco if your name is Marco Noah Widmer.
- Double-check the information you provide about your citizenship if you have dual citizenship. You do not need a valid passport from your dual citizenship nation to apply. You must still fill in the form. The field “DOES NOT APPLY” should be filled in if the passenger doesn’t have a second valid passport.
- The flight details of an ESTA which has been previously authorized cannot be changed. You won’t have the option to change your arrival/departure ports upon returning to the US. Currently, it is possible to update your US address in your existing ESTA.
The ESTA travel authorization will remain valid for two full years, even if the dates and flights you entered in your application do not correspond to a trip to the United States. You can use the ESTA on multiple trips within the validity period of 2 years.
How do I check the status of my ESTA?
Visa Waiver Program citizens are able to verify their ESTA status instantly after paying the fee and submitting their application. If not, you should receive the status of your application within 72 hours.
Three main statuses are available for an ESTA request:
- Authorization Approved
- Authorization Pending
- Authorization Denied
You’ll receive an application number, which you should write down. This is important because you will need it later to check the status of your ESTA application. In the event that you forget your application number, please provide your personal information in order to retrieve it.
- Name and surname
- Date of Birth
- Passport Number
- Country of Issue
Why was my ESTA application denied?
You should get an ESTA travel permit if you are a Visa Waiver Program national and plan to visit the USA on a short vacation. You should also ensure that you fill out the ESTA form correctly to avoid making mistakes that could lead to authorities denying your authorization or delaying it. Most of us believe we make no mistakes. However, border security officers in the US often reject travel authorizations because of this.
Here is a list of the most common reasons for ESTA denials:
- You overstayed your previous ESTA
- Entering the United States illegally
- You have lived in the United States without permission;
- You have not changed since your previous application was rejected.
- The US Embassy has rejected a previous visa application, such as a B-1 Business Visa (or B-2 Tourist Visa).
- Your ESTA application contains inaccurate or false information.
- The system finds out that you have criminal convictions even though you said you had no criminal record;
- Even a one-digit mistake in your passport number can cause your ESTA application to be denied.
- Even if you answer yes by mistake to the security question, your application will be denied.
- You fail to mention that you have a contagious illness in your application.
- If you used or handled drugs illegally, tried to enter the US illegally, or helped someone enter the US illegally; if you were previously involved in terrorist acts, espionage, or crimes against humanity.
- You may have dual citizenship if you are a citizen of Iran, Iraq, Sudan, and Syria.
- You have visited Iran, Iraq, or Syria after March 2011, as well as Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen.
- You have visited Cuba on or after 12 January 2021.
The new Visa Waiver Program requires all citizens and passport holders from visa-exempt countries, to apply for ESTA before traveling to the United States. This regulation has been in effect since January 12th, 2009. ESTA is a system of electronic travel authorizations that increases security and allows the American government to maintain a visa-free travel program.
Over 99 percent have been approved. The online ESTA application is easy and straightforward, and can be completed in less than 15 minutes.
Check ESTA Status Online
ESTA applications may be submitted up to 72 hours prior to departure but not less than seven days before. If approved, the application is valid for two years. The travel authorizations approved can be used for multiple trips to the United States. Online confirmation and updating of an approved application is possible after it has been submitted successfully.